Thursday, July 17, 2014

Photography Workshop - Cologne in November

 
Harvey Benge - Tokyo Girl No 1, 2007

I will be conducting a workshop in Cologne at galerie Lichtblick over the weekend of November 22 and 23rd. I've called the workshop - So You Want to Make Better Photographs? - knowing that we all want to do that. Among other things I will share my approach to evaluating images. And what makes a photograph work. Of course this will lead to idea generation and how to move a series of photographs forward, ultimately to a show or a photobook. I've had a lot of photobooks published and I'll be telling participants all I know in that area. I'm looking forward to getting back to Cologne and doing this workshop, it's going to be fun.

The Lichtblick School have this to say:
Paris and Auckland based photographer Harvey Benge will return to Lichtblick School this November for an intensive 2 day workshop. Harvey will share his wealth of experience giving special attention to idea generation, how to evaluate photographs, what makes one image work and another not, editing and sequencing plus photobook design, production and an overview of print-on-demand technology. The workshop will include constructive reviews of participants work and suggestions on ways to move work forward.
Known for his evocative and unsettling images, Harvey Benge’s focus is on picture series realised through the photo-book. With over forty titles to date, his work has been published in Britain, France, Germany, Japan and New Zealand. His photographs have also been shown in public and dealer galleries in New Zealand, Britain and throughout Europe including France, Holland, Germany, Poland and Italy.
Harvey has conducted workshops with: photographers Antoine d’Agata, Peter Bialobrzeski, Louis Baltz, Slavica Perkovic, Alec Soth, John Gossage, Rineke Dijkstra, Paul Graham, Todd Hido, Pieter Hugo and curators Quentin Bajac and Sandra Phillips. His bookworks have included collaborations with J H Engstrom, Roe Ethridge, Bertien van Manen, Christian Patterson and Daido Moriyama among others.

Some unsolicited comments from past workshop participants:
Thanks for a very pleasant and eye-opening workshop, I’m glad I attended - Michael Irmscher. Thanks for your workshop, it was great and brought me a huge step forward - Charly Artmann. Thank you for a great workshop, it was good fun and helped me very much - Torsten Schumann.

You can find out more at the Lichblick School website HERE. Or if you wish you could email me direct at, harvey.benge@xtra.co.nz


No comments: